Thursday, March 15, 2007

Week 9

Week 9 of term is always the most strange. I think everyone starts to lose it in week 9. The students just have had so many midterms and assignments that at this point, they need a march break! I have students sleeping through 2:30pm labs, students ripping up pages and walking out in a huff, and my doozy of a discrimination complaint. (sorry I said in the post below and in a comment on eija's blog that it was a harassment complaint, which it's not, but I feel harassed so I guess that's why I've been referring to it as the 'harrassment' complaint. Of course, I can't write about the complaint here until we have a resolution, which I think will be a long time in coming)

The mouse woke me up again this morning. I'm pretty sure I know where he sleeps (right above my bed!) so he should be easy to trap, but the insulation in our attic really gets in your lungs if you go up there, so I don't want to go up without a mask. Once I get a mask, the little guy is moving out of our house!

Yes, Lorna cars sure are expensive, especially when you pick expensive cars over $4000 models. Cars are even more expensive when you are buying them for someone else!
I'm quite happy with our carless lifestyle. If I had the time to go anywhere, you can get pretty much anywhere in Kingston by bus. The bus costs me maybe $8/month versus the est.$400/month for a car. A car would probably be worth it if we had to drive to work, but we can't drive to work because there is no parking near Queen's.

I give James lots of nicknames and he pretty much replies to them all. My current names for him seem to be 'monkey' and 'love bean', though he will probably move on to 'soccer king' soon if he has his way. He calls me by my first name most of the time 'AAAphra' but yesterday he called me 'Ma'am'. I just about fell over laughing.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your troubles :(

About the mouse... My colleague just told me how they had purchased an electronic rat dispeller - one that is plugged into an electric outlet and it plays a very high note to chase the rats away. She said it works like a charm!

March 16, 2007 at 4:55:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rachel said...

We tried a mouse repeller that plugs into the wall at our old house. It didn't do a thing.

The thing that I've been happiest with for getting rid of mice is an electronic trap that runs on batteries and instantly electrocutes the mouse when it enters it. Compared to other killing options, this one is much more humane and makes it a lot easier to dispose of the body.

We have mice here, too, but they can't be caught because they stay in the walls. We've never seen any evidence of them in the house, but can hear them at night. It's horrid being woken up by them. I feel your pain, Aphra!

March 16, 2007 at 8:48:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home