Monday, February 13, 2012

Waiting to turn the tide

Well, my cold doesn't appear to have improved much. I went in to work in the morning and did what I needed to complete and then went home. I sound quite terrible really.
Donna asked me if I was taking anything for it and I said no that I would let it run its course. (I am using Vicks but I didn't count that) We talked about Tony Bennett advocating the legalization of street drugs in the aftermath of WH's death. However, from the sounds of it the examples Tony uses are misguided. In WH case it sounds like her drugs were legal. But we live in a society that thinks it is ok to 'fix' things with drugs, which I think is the bigger issue. And I'm ok with drugs when needed. The morphine after I had James was helpful! But if you are feeling down or if your kid won't listen, I don't think the immediate solution should be to medicate. Maybe try to figure out what is going on, what the root of the problem is?

Today I remembered some politically correct training that I took when I was working at a politically correct institution. This was about 10 years ago when apparently they were on a campaign to be more politically correct. So our whole lab had to go down to this training where they told us that we couldn't put up posters that might be deemed as "offensive" to anyone. In fact, to be safe, don't put up any posters at all. And no jewelry that might be "offensive" like a chain with a cross on it.
I understand that their intent was probably good- their goal was to create a "safe" workplace. But, looking back on it, is it a safe workplace because the exterior "looks good"? The underlying rooted discrimination is ok if on the surface the workspace looks good. In my time there I never had an issue with the workplace being "safe" (well except for the physical technicality that they put the fire exit behind a locked door, which wasn't too smart!). But that had more to do with feeling a sense of respect than caring about what was on the walls or what people were wearing.

This is why I shouldn't get sick- I write too much :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home