Sunday, October 24, 2010

Siren song

Wikipedia says about the siren song: The term "siren song" refers to an appeal that is hard to resist but that, if heeded, will lead to a bad result. While I always cringed when my students' used wikipedia for a source, I don't mind using it on an informal blog.

In the Greek epic poem "Argonautica" Orpheus plays his lyre and drowns out the sirens and thereby saves most of the crew.

In another Greek epic "The Odyssey" Odysseus straps himself to the bow of the ship and has his sailors plug their ears with beeswax so he can hear the song but he can't follow it.

I think it interesting that these correlate with Dr. Phil's advice. You can 'white-knuckle' your way through something (which is better than nothing at all!) or you can overcome bad ways with good ways.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Not on Siren songs anymore.
This morning Mady sang the song I posted about this morning- I was like - hey- I was just listening to that!

James and I went and heard Greg H.'s story in the evening. It was very good and interesting. They had desserts afterwards and so as soon as the ending prayer was done, James was off like a shot to check them out. However, he wouldn't take any until I came with him. So he ran to the desserts and then ran back to get me and dragged me back to the desserts. As the Church is not as speedy as James he was still the first one to take any desserts. He had 3 Timbits. He's a pretty simple kid. They had quite a spead of desserts though- it looked really good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home