In the news
There's not much in the news about the H1N1 virus anymore, despite the fact the cases are growing. I guess they aren't growing exponentially enough. I am glad I don't have students right now as sicknesses seem to rip through them due to their all living together!
James has a pond field trip today and a soccer practice this evening. When I looked at the weather yesterday, it said sunny all day. Now it's cloudy and they saw it will rain. Colour me (and my child) dressed incorrectly for the day.
The lady at the A&P told me that starting June 1 they will start charging for bags. So this now leaves the difference between a&P and Food basics that they have fancier looking stores? I'm sure that justifies they higher prices.
James has a pond field trip today and a soccer practice this evening. When I looked at the weather yesterday, it said sunny all day. Now it's cloudy and they saw it will rain. Colour me (and my child) dressed incorrectly for the day.
The lady at the A&P told me that starting June 1 they will start charging for bags. So this now leaves the difference between a&P and Food basics that they have fancier looking stores? I'm sure that justifies they higher prices.

3 Comments:
it's an environmentalthing. Here in Finland you must pay for all bags - so people re-use and also have canvas bags which is a good thing.
In the UK the supermarkets give you a penny off your bill for every bag you don't take (i.e. however many bags you supply yourself) ... some more upmarket stores give you a token which you can then give to the charity of your choice (there are usually 3-4 to choose between)
I am encouraged that even in England they are starting to take reusing recyling seriously :)
Here, the A&P has higher prices on food items because they are a 'frills' supermarket. Food Basics is cheaper but you bag your own and you bring your own bags. If A&P take away the bags, what is their frill left, if what I was asking? What is their justification for higher prices now?
As you guessed I misunderstood what you wrote.
I see ... so until June 1st in A&P they will give you free bags and help you pack your stuff. After June 1st both these go?
Here as I said you pay for the bags (in all supermarkets) and also always pack your own stuff. The packing doesn't happen anywhere here in Europe as far as I know (except for example when a store first opens and is mobbed or something like that)
Higher prices might be justified for several reasons (other than the free bags /packing service). That they accept credit cards (not cheap for the shop to do that) that they pay their employees a higher wage /overtime for Sundays etc, that they offer a greater choice of products esp fresh fruit and veg (which goes off quickly if not sold), that they have more upmarket goods and brands etc etc and things like whether the store has public toilets (which cost to run!)
but it can also just be that they are greedy / greedier
the important thing is that we shop where we feel best about shopping (which might vary because we are all quite different) I for example avoid the bigger shops - prefer to go to a supermarket (rather than a hypermarket) which sells only food and related products (toilet paper, shampoo etc) I really don't like the larger stores that lure me into buying more than I need, and things that I didn't plan (and probably don't really need anyway)
Post a Comment
<< Home