Saturday, April 19, 2008

Scores

Generally, James gets a lot of his math knowledge from sports. He loves sports and adding up the scores, so it's easy to keep him interested that way.
We had this conversation this morning:
J: (in his game the Generals had 50 and the globetrotters had 11) For a 50 plus 11 game what is the lead?
me: You mean how many points is the team leading by?
J: Yes
me: That would be 50 minus 11, so 39
J: I don't want you minusing stuff, I want to know how much they are leading by
me: Well I was finding the difference in the points
J: They got 50 points
me: Yes, well, I was just taking away the points the other team got to see the difference
j: They have a 50 point lead
me: (goes back to laundry, what more was there to say?)
a few minutes later the score is generals 50, globetrotters 20
J: they have a 30 point lead, because one has 50 and one has 20
I guess he understood what I was saying after all!

Last night, he wanted to sleep on the couch so he could fall asleep watching the soccer game. But he woke up disoriented at around 1am. That meant he woke us up at 1am. He went right back to sleep, but it took me a long time. sigh.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sports are a great source of math knowledge! I learned my 7 times table very young because I watched football all the time! (As long as nobody kicked field goals or missed extra points, I was fine.) BTW, congratulations to James for his Jump Rope for Heart accomplishments!

April 19, 2008 at 10:49:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home