fairy
Well, the sidewalk plow fairy did come on Friday night and left my driveway with the biggest present of snow! It was seriously a whole snowbank full with some giant chunks- one was about 2 feet by 2 feet. Needless to say, the fact that the snow was so heavy and I was having to throw is so high (due to the previous snow banks) that my back was in mega pain yesterday. It's still pretty sore today. I'll be careful with it for a while!
It took me an hour to clear my driveway and then I went shopping which took 1/2 hour. So I had to spend twice the time to get out as to actually BE out. sigh.
On Saturday nights, James normally sleeps in the front room to watch hockey night in Canada. However, last night he wanted to sleep in my bed. Seeing as I figured I wouldn't sleep well with my back anyway, I agreed. He's always been a pretty squirmy sleeper but at 2am he was a pretty thrashy sleeper. It was pretty funny to see how he's grown in sleep since he was young. (But I did not get much sleep!)
We got more snow last night!
There was an article in the Star about the Superbowl being in Dallas with snow that made me snicker at this excerpt:
Fun fact: Dallas does not own a single snowplow. Not one. When they need them, they borrow them from other, fully functional cities. Most of the snowplows being used this weekend arrived on Friday, more than three days after the first snow.
They do not stockpile salt. Their winter road maintenance budget is less than $500,000.
Someone within earshot suggested the other day that a snowstorm on top of the existing ice sheet was a good thing, because it would provide traction on the roads. I know Dallas doesn’t get what we’d call winter, but it’s like these people emigrated en masse from the Kalahari. They are winter clueless.
So the next time an American crows in your vicinity about their tax rate, remind him that 10 centimetres of snow does not leave us housebound for a week. That was the case here, with hundreds of thousands of residents opting out of daily life until a Saturday thaw began to free them.
At first, Dallas felt bad. When the airports began opening and closing more often than a poorly run dry cleaners, they began to feel worried. When those few who did show up early decided to stay in, they began to panic. And when the American media turned on them (Sports Illustrated’s Peter King Tweeting that the whole show was a “debacle”), they got angry.
With the game still in the offing — and thus holding out some small hope that this might yet become a fondly remembered occasion — Dallas has been reduced to wishing a hex on the 2014 NFL championship in New York. Yes, it may snow in New York in February 2014. But it doesn’t matter if it’s coming down in waves, it won’t paralyze Gotham the way a couple of inches have closed down Dallas.
It took me an hour to clear my driveway and then I went shopping which took 1/2 hour. So I had to spend twice the time to get out as to actually BE out. sigh.
On Saturday nights, James normally sleeps in the front room to watch hockey night in Canada. However, last night he wanted to sleep in my bed. Seeing as I figured I wouldn't sleep well with my back anyway, I agreed. He's always been a pretty squirmy sleeper but at 2am he was a pretty thrashy sleeper. It was pretty funny to see how he's grown in sleep since he was young. (But I did not get much sleep!)
We got more snow last night!
There was an article in the Star about the Superbowl being in Dallas with snow that made me snicker at this excerpt:
Fun fact: Dallas does not own a single snowplow. Not one. When they need them, they borrow them from other, fully functional cities. Most of the snowplows being used this weekend arrived on Friday, more than three days after the first snow.
They do not stockpile salt. Their winter road maintenance budget is less than $500,000.
Someone within earshot suggested the other day that a snowstorm on top of the existing ice sheet was a good thing, because it would provide traction on the roads. I know Dallas doesn’t get what we’d call winter, but it’s like these people emigrated en masse from the Kalahari. They are winter clueless.
So the next time an American crows in your vicinity about their tax rate, remind him that 10 centimetres of snow does not leave us housebound for a week. That was the case here, with hundreds of thousands of residents opting out of daily life until a Saturday thaw began to free them.
At first, Dallas felt bad. When the airports began opening and closing more often than a poorly run dry cleaners, they began to feel worried. When those few who did show up early decided to stay in, they began to panic. And when the American media turned on them (Sports Illustrated’s Peter King Tweeting that the whole show was a “debacle”), they got angry.
With the game still in the offing — and thus holding out some small hope that this might yet become a fondly remembered occasion — Dallas has been reduced to wishing a hex on the 2014 NFL championship in New York. Yes, it may snow in New York in February 2014. But it doesn’t matter if it’s coming down in waves, it won’t paralyze Gotham the way a couple of inches have closed down Dallas.

1 Comments:
Wow.. poor Dallas. It must be rough being them.
Hope your back feels better soon!
Post a Comment
<< Home