Sunday, January 02, 2011

Spark

I have heard this quote in a number of different ways in the last week:
The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
I think maybe Annette quoted it to me a couple of days ago and it also seemed to be part of the message from Al's sermon this morning. If you want different results you have to change what you are doing.
I tried to look up who said the quote, but I could not get a definitive answer from the internet.
One of the options was Ben Franklin.
In looking at a page of his quotes, I found this interesting one:

* We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy. The miracle in question was only performed to hasten the operation, under circumstances of present necessity, which required it.
o Letter to Abbé Morellet (1779)

1 Comments:

Blogger jordin said...

I was first told this in 2001, when Thomas was speaking with a man from Russia, who told him in russia they have a word for doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results, and in english the closest translation is insanity.

January 2, 2011 at 10:06:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home