Saturday, July 17, 2010

same kind of different as me

Today was a very full day.
At 8am I went grocery shopping. After I got home and unloaded James and I headed off to AJ's birthday party. There was a location change so I helped walk the kids back to AJ's place (safely!). Then I went to Rustle for prayer. Then I headed back to AJs place to pick up James.
We came home, I did some yard work and biked to the library to look for more Red Green for James. Then AJ came over in the afternoon and is still here having a sleep- over.
James is an exceptionally good child when he has a friend over. The things he might complain to me about if he is on his own - nary a peep when a friend is over. I like it! However, I did not get off complaint free as AJ seemed to pick up where James left off. Funny!

I finished reading "Same kind of different as me" by Ron Hall, Denver Moore and Lynn Vincent. Barbara mentioned it on her blog and I ordered it. It was indeed very good. The book is a little bit about homelessness and a bit about friendship but mainly about God moving through painful circumstances to bring about redemption.

A couple of my favorite excerpts:
p.155 "Most people want to be circled with safety, not by the unexpected. The unexpected can take you out. But the unexpected can also take you over and change your life. (Ron)"
p.45 "See, we don't need to be tryin to drag the homeless, or any kinda needy people, to "programs", to "services." What people needs is people.
And needy people don't need no perfect people neither. When Jesus sent his disciples out, He sent Peter right along, knowin that Peter had a bad temper and a potty mouth and was goin' deny Him three times. He sent John and James even though they was full a' pride and fighting over the best seat at the table. He even sent Judas, knowin that Judas was gon' betray Him. Even though Jesus knowed all a' their sin and weakness, He sent 'em anyway...If you is waitin to clean up your own life before you get out and help someone else, you may as well take off your shoes and crawl back in the bed 'cause it ain't never gon' happen. (Denver)"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home