Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rogers - 43

James had a successful swimming lesson in the morning. Apparently, both of his new teachers are called "Lorne". At least he doesn't have to remember many names. And he has a friend from school in his class. He was quite pleased that he was able to tell Lorne (when he was asking about pool rules) that there was no running by the pool. He came home quite pleased with his participation.

James allowed me to be a player in his paper game of hockey. He made me my own paper piece entitled 'Rogers 43' and I got to play with all the other players. I am quite pleased to say that I got a hat trick and it was quite fun. When I was working on the dinner, I got to play on Anaheim. Such multitasking.

Tonight, James is watching hockey and he was even ok with the Leafs losing. I guess he's used to it. But during one of the intermissions, I heard them talk about a hockey union, and that perplexed me. Aren't unions to stand up for the little guy, who could not stand up for himself. Don't these guys all have agents that could stand up for them? It seems to be more beneficial for the union (lots of hockey money)- what is the benefit to the player?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't suppose you're asking for a history lesson, but up until the 1970s, hockey players were massively exploited by the owners who paid them peanuts and raked in all the profits. The NHLPA helped to change that, and while the shoe does rather seem to be on the other foot now, the union does still have a role in monitoring labour relations to ensure fairness for all players (i.e. not just the superstar millionaires).

January 11, 2009 at 1:56:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home