Carrot cakiness

I picked up James from daycare and we had left-overs for dinner. Myron had some leftover taco meatloaf in a wrap. I had leftover turkey in a wrap with peppers and cheese. James had a plate of cucumber, a plate of leftover roast beef (2 thick slices) and 3 cheese wraps.
It was a good dinner for me- I'm trying to pay close attention to my reactions to meals to isolate the food intolerances. Turkey, cheese, wraps and peppers all seem to be good and make my body happy:)
Because the dinner took little effort I had time to make these wonderful little cakes (recipe from Simply Recipes).
Apple carrot cupcake recipe
· 2 cups all purpose flour
· 1 1/2 cups sugar
· 2 teaspoons baking soda (I used 1 t.)
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
· 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
· 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
· 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
· 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon salt (I left this out)
· 1 cup vegetable oil (light olive oil, canola oil, grapeseed oil)
· 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
· 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated carrots (about 3 medium)
· 1 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated tart apples, such as Granny Smith (about 2 medium)
· 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans (or walnuts) (I left this out)
1 Preheat oven to 350° and place rack in the center of the oven.
2 In a large bowl, combine flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, baking powder, spices, cocoa, pepper, and salt. Whisk to combine, then stir in oil and eggs. Stir in carrots, apples, and pecans.
3 Set aluminum or paper cupcake holders in muffin tins. Spoon the batter into the cupcake paper cups, three-quarters of the way to the top. Bake approximately 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.
I didn't use their frosting, instead I used:
ICING:
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese
1/4 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
3 c. powdered sugar
ICING: Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla and peel until light and smooth. Beat in sugar. Spread on cake.
The icing made enough for more than 2 batches of the cakes! I probably would melt the butter next time, as I ended up with some chunks of butter in the icing.
I was almost run over twice in the morning by people making left turns who didn't look for pedestrians!

1 Comments:
Your icing looks much better than their's. Goat cheese in icing is just wrong.
Post a Comment
<< Home