Best Interest
The trigger that set the student off yesterday was about best interests. The reason he went off is likely his troubled past, but the trigger was that he wanted more time to do his lab (than the allotted 3 hours) and that is generally not allowed. My perception of the situation was that it would be in his best interest to hand the lab in as is. He disagreed. (thus the fit) When he went to see my supervisor, I'm not quite sure what story he gave her, but she agreed to give him his paper back and he could complete the lab at home. Which in my opinion, he can't do because there was still data he needed to take, but hey- I'm guessing he told her that he only had a couple more questions to answer. In reality he probably has at least 2 hours work there for maybe a grade change of 1%. My view, for him it wasn't worth the effort. For him, he saw his best interest differently.
We live in a get-what-you-want society, but sometimes getting what you want is not really in your best interest.
We live in a get-what-you-want society, but sometimes getting what you want is not really in your best interest.

1 Comments:
Yikes. I realize I don't know the whole situation but I cringed when I heard your supervisor gave the paper back to him. To me it seems your supervisor undermined your decision and sends a clear message to your student. This sort of thing happens in the school board I work for and it frustrates me to no end. No wonder so many of our parents have very little respect for our teachers. Keep pressing on!
Post a Comment
<< Home