We are carnivores
Today at dinner James and I were having leftover pizza. James was having the meat kind that he and his dad like and I was having vegetarian, that I like.
James asked me if I was having his kind of pizza. I said no, I like the vegetables. Then he said something like "Me and Myron like meat pizza. We're carnivores". He definately used the word carnivores. I must have looked amused, because he get defensive "That's what they teach us in daycare". I assured him that I was just impressed that he used such a big word and correctly as well.
With the weather being nice, when James gets home from daycare, the neighbourhood boys all want to play in our backyard, because of the new BASKETBALL NET. Get a basketball net= draw young boys from the neighbourhood!
The other parents seem to leave them relatively free to do their own thing, but I tend to prefer the keep-parent-on-location method and read a book, or write nearby.
(this prevents them from doing crazy things like dragging baby birds out of their nest)
One time when I went in, I came out to find they had broken the pool noodles in pieces and were rubbing them against the fence because they wanted to creat 'cotton candy'. It was funny. Messy, but funny. I didn't let them do it again.
James is so sweet-he always gets juice boxes for his friends. They play hard.
There is a family with all-girls that has a nearby backyard. I have a yard full of all-boys. When the girls come out, it's funny to hear the shouts of 'the girls are out!'. We're dealing with 5-7 year olds people!
I got an email from Myron today (haven't seen him yet, he's working late) saying his work was thinking of sending him to Moncton for June 4-13. My conference starts june 4, so that will be an interesting week!
I've been thinking about maturity recently and how to tell if I am mature in different areas of my life. I have always looked at maturity as if one is able to deal with a situation, without becoming emotional. I think I see being emotional as a weakness. And it can be sometimes, but it is healthy in some ways as well. I picked up a book on the fruit of the spirit by greg zoschak and saw another way to look at maturity as if one is able to deal with the situation with love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance.
An interesting thing that Greg said was if one's disposition or his character or even his countenance changes during the time of trial, then he is to some extent overcome of that trial. (emphasis mine) It may seem like you need a poker face, but I think he's really saying that you need to be true to yourself all the time. In a way, I think, as you mature, not so many things surprise you, and so even if something difficult happens, it doesn't show on your face because you know from experience that it really isn't THAT difficult.
Like when I started the course at Queen's the students would do crazy things that would surprise me and stress me out. Now I've been doing the course for so long, they think they will surprise me, but they don't. I have seen them be surprised by my lack of reaction- in that it has happened before and it will happen again.
Funny to discuss maturity with the title for the post being "We are carnivores"!
James asked me if I was having his kind of pizza. I said no, I like the vegetables. Then he said something like "Me and Myron like meat pizza. We're carnivores". He definately used the word carnivores. I must have looked amused, because he get defensive "That's what they teach us in daycare". I assured him that I was just impressed that he used such a big word and correctly as well.
With the weather being nice, when James gets home from daycare, the neighbourhood boys all want to play in our backyard, because of the new BASKETBALL NET. Get a basketball net= draw young boys from the neighbourhood!
The other parents seem to leave them relatively free to do their own thing, but I tend to prefer the keep-parent-on-location method and read a book, or write nearby.
(this prevents them from doing crazy things like dragging baby birds out of their nest)
One time when I went in, I came out to find they had broken the pool noodles in pieces and were rubbing them against the fence because they wanted to creat 'cotton candy'. It was funny. Messy, but funny. I didn't let them do it again.
James is so sweet-he always gets juice boxes for his friends. They play hard.
There is a family with all-girls that has a nearby backyard. I have a yard full of all-boys. When the girls come out, it's funny to hear the shouts of 'the girls are out!'. We're dealing with 5-7 year olds people!
I got an email from Myron today (haven't seen him yet, he's working late) saying his work was thinking of sending him to Moncton for June 4-13. My conference starts june 4, so that will be an interesting week!
I've been thinking about maturity recently and how to tell if I am mature in different areas of my life. I have always looked at maturity as if one is able to deal with a situation, without becoming emotional. I think I see being emotional as a weakness. And it can be sometimes, but it is healthy in some ways as well. I picked up a book on the fruit of the spirit by greg zoschak and saw another way to look at maturity as if one is able to deal with the situation with love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance.
An interesting thing that Greg said was if one's disposition or his character or even his countenance changes during the time of trial, then he is to some extent overcome of that trial. (emphasis mine) It may seem like you need a poker face, but I think he's really saying that you need to be true to yourself all the time. In a way, I think, as you mature, not so many things surprise you, and so even if something difficult happens, it doesn't show on your face because you know from experience that it really isn't THAT difficult.
Like when I started the course at Queen's the students would do crazy things that would surprise me and stress me out. Now I've been doing the course for so long, they think they will surprise me, but they don't. I have seen them be surprised by my lack of reaction- in that it has happened before and it will happen again.
Funny to discuss maturity with the title for the post being "We are carnivores"!

2 Comments:
"I think I see being emotional as a weakness." Jesus was emotional. He wept over Jerusalem. He got angry at the money makers. I don't think He was weak - do you ?
oh and don't carnivores ONLY eat meat??? I think Oliver would be one if he could - though he does like bread :)
I think you're right, Lorna - about Jesus and about meat. Isn't the word for it "omnivore"?
Post a Comment
<< Home