Naval gazing
Well, my meeting yesterday was interesting, though I'm still not exactly sure what it was about. I think it was mainly to get all the first year instructors connected. (and we agreed the students don't like naval gazing!) The guy who has a problem with me is a deanish sort, though I don't think he's a dean anymore because he's off this year (but still coming to meetings, even though I think it's sick leave). He and I worked together when he was doing a course in the phys dept. and he didn't like the fact that I wouldn't let students cheat! eh? I don't know he might have had other issues too. Whatever his problem, the last few years he wouldn't even look at me if we passed each other.
So now, I am in charge of one of his 'babies' (course) and he wasn't too keen on that, mainly because he doens't think I have enough 'clout' at the physics dept. Which I probably don't. I'm not into politics and I don't try and boss anyone around. Not that it would work if I tried! Anyway, so the one question he asked me in the meeting was to show how little clout I had, in that I didn't get much choice in TAs. But my TAs (randomly selected) were actually pretty good, so I told him that, and then he seemed kind of ok. It was like we had our showdown, and it was over, so that's good.
After thinking about it some more, I think he had a problem with me because I don't rely on him, because it was obvious that everyone else in the room goes to him with their problems, and I solve my own problems, thus making him redundant. And he doesn't like redundant. I think it's a control thing.
Anyway, the meeting went late and I had to bike like crazy to make it home in time to leave for Daxa's party. It was really nice. She made a huge Indian spead and she even got a car for James (though he had brought his own). He spent the whole time playing with her car and eating carrots. He loved being the center of attention at the party (some of myron's other coworkers were there too)
I'm making tandoori chicken tonight. My dad helped me pick out the paste when he was up, so it will be my first time making it. It's marinating in the fridge now.
So now, I am in charge of one of his 'babies' (course) and he wasn't too keen on that, mainly because he doens't think I have enough 'clout' at the physics dept. Which I probably don't. I'm not into politics and I don't try and boss anyone around. Not that it would work if I tried! Anyway, so the one question he asked me in the meeting was to show how little clout I had, in that I didn't get much choice in TAs. But my TAs (randomly selected) were actually pretty good, so I told him that, and then he seemed kind of ok. It was like we had our showdown, and it was over, so that's good.
After thinking about it some more, I think he had a problem with me because I don't rely on him, because it was obvious that everyone else in the room goes to him with their problems, and I solve my own problems, thus making him redundant. And he doesn't like redundant. I think it's a control thing.
Anyway, the meeting went late and I had to bike like crazy to make it home in time to leave for Daxa's party. It was really nice. She made a huge Indian spead and she even got a car for James (though he had brought his own). He spent the whole time playing with her car and eating carrots. He loved being the center of attention at the party (some of myron's other coworkers were there too)
I'm making tandoori chicken tonight. My dad helped me pick out the paste when he was up, so it will be my first time making it. It's marinating in the fridge now.

1 Comments:
Glad to hear the meeting went ok and seemed to resolve things.
Post a Comment
<< Home