Monday, January 01, 2007

Hello 2007- do you have any pears?

Well, I got a call tonight about an hour after I told Myron James had to be in bed and it went something like this:
James (on verge of tears): Do you have any pears??
Me: No, you like pears?
James: Yes, Could you buy some tomorrow?
And so on, with a very upset boy who hadn't eaten dinner and just wanted pears!
Myron evidently needs to work on getting him to bed before he has a meltdown.
Let's hope they make their plane tomorrow morning.

So, New Year's has been special for me. I'm sweet sixteen today! In a way. I'm waiting for my car.
On January 1, 1991 I committed my life to Christ and it certainly has never been the same since.
C.S. Lewis described himself at his conversion (from "Surprised by Joy") as "the most dejected and reluctant convert in all of England". In later years, Lewis's memory of his reluctant conversion had served to underline for him the amazing grace of God: "The Prodigal Son at least walked home on his own two feet. But who can truly adore that love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance to escape?... The hardness of God is kinder than the softness of men, and his compulsion is our liberation"
I went with Shieleen to her Church on the night of Dec 31, 1990. I don't remember the service, but I remember that at the end we all went to the front to pray. And there was a white haired lady whose son had been in trouble and she so wanted him to know God. She wanted us to pray. And I prayed. And I cried. I remember that.
Then after the service, Shieleen and Brian and I went back to his house and I asked them lots of questions about this whole Christianity thing. At about 2 in the morning, they asked me if I wanted to commit my life to Christ? I said no. But I was crying and they didn't believe me. So they asked me a couple of more times and eventually I said yes. And my life seriously changed. I mean, still there's lots more to do, but there was a radical change inside me. The best thing that ever happened to me is having a relationship with God.
Your grace truly is amazing, God!
Thank you for your everlasting mercy and kindness- even when it comes in surprising ways.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

Happy Birthday Aphra!

January 1, 2007 at 3:38:00 AM EST  
Blogger Calia77 said...

Happy Birthday! May God continue to bless you. Hope your boys get home OK.

January 1, 2007 at 7:04:00 AM EST  
Blogger seethroughfaith said...

Sweet sixteen - love it :)

Love the prayer too - you are an awesome woman of God ... blessings for 2007

January 3, 2007 at 5:10:00 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home