Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Rights

Monday was exciting because it was B@achelorette night. Lots of the guys cried which was great. That's always fun to watch. Justin is being very well set up for the doom to follow. And they will take off around the world, while trying to sidestep the erupting volcano in Iceland.

Tuesday I hear my brother ran a 10k, so that makes Tuesday exciting.

At 2am this morning James fell out of bed and bruised his arm pretty bad.

Today was pretty exciting at work. When I got in I had an email from a colleague who was forwarding a request from a student to breastfeed her child in a test. I hadn't done this type of accommodation before so I asked my boss what sort of documentation I needed and then got back to the student. I copied the lady who had forwarded it to me and then she called me, upset with my response. She thought I should not have accommodated the student but asked the student to use a pump. And I was all like- whoah- I think it's a human rights thing- if she wants to breastfeed anytime she can. I'm sure she knows a baby would be a distraction in a test, but it is her choice, isn't it?
What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Marlene said...

I noticed your comment to Rachel on FB and you said you'd give her a separate room. Since to me the only issue would be that the baby would be a distraction to the other students it seems like a good idea to me. As long as she doesn't have test answers written on her baby!

A pump wouldn't work for me in that situation. I don't use one often because I find them annoying, but the few times I have since Jordan's been born I've saved the milk just in case. He's really not interested in the bottle though and he just gets mad at me or looks at me as if to say "what the heck?"

June 9, 2010 at 9:19:00 PM EDT  
Blogger jordin said...

Also... some babies just wont take a bottle. And maybe it would be more distressing for this woman to use a pump than have her baby with her. I know with Oakley i would nurse him while folding laundry and playing hide and seek (simultaneously). I would have found it very disturbing to be away from him. And, how old is the baby? I think that would make a huge differnce as well.

June 9, 2010 at 9:40:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home