Friday, August 15, 2008

A solitary path


I wrote this while in St. Catharines (August 8):

I walked from the mall back to my parents' house today. I took the trail through the city. It runs beside a creek or canal. I had walked it before and didn't think it would be too difficult, even though it had been some time (years) since I last walked it. I didn't have a map. It was a bit like walking blind. I got to the first intersection after the mall and had to make a decision. I chose correctly and landed on the trail. I walked all alone on the trail for 30 minutes. There was not another soul on the trail. I came across a number of bridges over the canal-thing and had to rely on my father's advice to 'stay to the left of the canal'. When in doubt, I stuck by that even though I knew my parents lived on the right of the creek and everything in me wanted to cross as that was my homing beacon switching on. But I stuck to the left and at the end saw WHY my father had said to stay on the left as there was massive impassable construction on the other side. Keeping left, I ended up in the exact place I needed to be. The trail crossed the creek at the very end.

It made me think of walking with God. We have to walk without a map, trusting in His words even though everything in us may want to go in another direction!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

great analagy!

August 16, 2008 at 1:56:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home