Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First day of school lunchtime


I picked James up at 11:50 for lunch. I learned a LOT about how the school runs. More than I wanted to really!(There is only one lunch lady looking after the yard of 60 kindergartners- She is a VERY busy lady!)
I signed him out and we went and sat under a tree for lunch. By the time he had scarfed down 4 muffins (which didn't take long) the bell rung to indicate that lunch-eating time for the children was done. I now understand why they said they the children won't have much time to eat anything. By the time they get themselves organized, lunch is over!
James told me a bit about his morning such as:
-he doesn't understand a word his teacher says
-recess is too short
-he went to the bathroom by himself
So, from the sounds of it the morning went quite well.
We played a running game, and he took some pictures with the camera. I have some headless pictures of myself now. He also took some pictures of his school including this one:
James' playground
Then I took him back and signed him in. BUT he didn't want to return to his class. I managed to find his class line up when the bell rung (which he had managed to do himself at recess, I don't know why he was so helpless when I showed up!)and placed him in it and then he started to cry and say he didn't want to go back. At which point I quickly extricated myself from the line and said I'd watch him go in. This trick I thanked the daycare for, knowing that he would be able to get a grip better without me there. He didn't look back as his line went in. I assume he was still getting a grip. Hopefully, he was ok when he made it back to his class!

4 Comments:

Blogger Bar L. said...

Wow! Sounds like an eventful day for both of you! I'm proud of him for doing so well, its not easy starting school! Sounds like he enjoyed it. I just remembered a pic I have of Keven in a Ducks shirt, I am going to dig it out if it takes me all night.

September 4, 2007 at 10:12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger rab said...

I'm pretty convinced that most of the problems with kids going to daycare/school are about their parents needing to be needed. The kids usually seem to do fine if the parents would just leave them alone! (I'm sure this word of encouragement has made you feel better!)

September 5, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Aphra said...

Hmm. Interesting perspective Bob :)
I don't think I was needing to be needed. I really wanted him to take charge and find the line. He really did know where it was, and I did not.

I am hoping his confidence will grow!

September 5, 2007 at 2:09:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Rachel said...

Yikes! I'm glad I'm not that lunch lady! I'm also glad I'm not the teacher after a lunch time of kids not having enough time to eat. If even a few of the kids are anything like mine are when their stomaches are insufficiently full, he or she will be in for some hellish hours!

September 5, 2007 at 9:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home