Marlene wins!
I did some searching on the internet to try to figure out what I saw yesterday and I think Marlene came the closest in the contest! Voles are quite tiny- what I saw must have been about 6 lbs- I have posted a picture of a vole I saw in the same location, so it wasn't that. Otters have thick tails and I don't think they like water quite as cold as our Lake. What I think it was is an overweight muskrat. The think was pretty round. Must not be suffering through the winter.
My Mom should be in Holland now- I spent the night dreaming of being there with her!
A couple of weeks ago we were looking at Matthew 6 in Church and in our small group discussion on betrayal Sandy said that we betray relationships when we aren't being who we really are. I have been thinking about this a lot. It is often easier to be who people want you to be than who you really are. Thoughts? (There's no contest to this one :)
My Mom should be in Holland now- I spent the night dreaming of being there with her!
A couple of weeks ago we were looking at Matthew 6 in Church and in our small group discussion on betrayal Sandy said that we betray relationships when we aren't being who we really are. I have been thinking about this a lot. It is often easier to be who people want you to be than who you really are. Thoughts? (There's no contest to this one :)

3 Comments:
That's fun to see that I'm the winner! My other thought was that maybe it was a wayward seal.
I know what you mean with being yourself with people vs. being who you think they want you to be. I struggle with that one a lot. I feel like I'm a different person with all different groups of people. I'm more myself (more comfortable, more open, less insecure) with small groups of people or just one on one. Sometimes when I'm in big groups of people I don't feel like I'm being myself since I become shy and quiet and I know people don't get a good sense of who I am; however, that's another side of me, so I guess I am being myself. It's sort of tricky. Even when we're not "being ourselves" maybe we actually are. I think we can still be ourselves without showing every side of us. You can still keep your opinions and values the same, yet keep them to yourself when you are with someone who you know disagrees for the sake of not causing an argument. This sense of judgement would be another part of who you are. I think it all comes down to showing the side of your personality that you think is appropriate for a situation. Or maybe it depends on your comfort level.
This is quite a philosopical question, Aphra! :)
Hmmm...
Well, I really think that the ability to be one's self at all times is a genetic trait. I never thought this before I had kids, but now that I have two, it's plain to see that one of them is pretty much the same person no matter where we are or who's there (much like her dad). The other one (like me) is a completely different person at home or some place extremely comfortable than when we're somewhere unfamiliar or with people less well known.
If it's a matter of intentionally hiding things or telling lies to fit in or be more likable, I'd class that as betrayal for sure, but I think that for a lot of people, it is simply impossible to be the same self at all times, with all people.
"Sandy said that we betray relationships when we aren't being who we really are. I have been thinking about this a lot. It is often easier to be who people want you to be than who you really are."
I agree up to a point. When we wear masks we are saying to the other - I don't trust you enough to see me as I really am
That said, we do react to different situations in sinful ways. And to choose not to show our feelings or thoughts in those situations is sometimes the right thing to do, so as not to cause hurt for someone else.
The important thing to do (and I've yet to learn this) is then to take the reaction to God and find out why you reacted in anger (or whatever ) inside - so that you can invite God in to heal the wounds.
We are not called to be transparent to everyone, but I think we are called to be honest -very honest - with 1-2 people whom we really trust. God can and does work through them. Sometimes the person is only in your life for a season. That's good to remember too.
PS muskrat? maybe it was a seal of somekind. I still say a mutated and overfed LARGE vole :)
Post a Comment
<< Home