lila
An excerpt for "Lila" by Marilynne Robinson
Sorrow is very real and loss feels very final to us. Life on earth is difficult and grave, and marvelous. Our experience is fragmentary. Its parts don't add up. They don't even belong in the same calculation.
I was up at 4am today and for some reason all day thought it was Tuesday.I guess my Tuesday was so intense I felt like I needed to relive it.
James got up really early to practice the Bobby Orr presentation. We went over it quite a few times before we had to run out the door.
I had a meeting with a great student and her mom at 1pm and then I went to the hospital to visit Christine. I think she is the most popular person on the floor. When I got there a hospice lady named Linda was there, a resident and a nurse were with her and she was on the phone. I was waiting outside for the resident to finish up. As I was waiting one of her old co-workers came up and we waited together and then Sam and Jacob showed up. So by the time the resident left we quickly filled up her room. She was a bit loopy on the meds but still Christine as ever. We asked her what the best time to visit was and she suggested the evening as she is supposed to rest in the afternoon. I don't know if that is going to pan out for her considering all her visitors! We prayed with her before we left. She was pretty tired.
When I got home I asked James about his presentation, he said he didn't do it today. So I was like -was it put off until tomorrow. And he said no. It turns out that there NEVER was a presentation assigned, just for some reason he thought they would have one, but instead he only got one question asked by the teacher and that was what sport Bobby Orr played. So that was a lot of worry for nothing. As worry normally is.
Sorrow is very real and loss feels very final to us. Life on earth is difficult and grave, and marvelous. Our experience is fragmentary. Its parts don't add up. They don't even belong in the same calculation.
I was up at 4am today and for some reason all day thought it was Tuesday.I guess my Tuesday was so intense I felt like I needed to relive it.
James got up really early to practice the Bobby Orr presentation. We went over it quite a few times before we had to run out the door.
I had a meeting with a great student and her mom at 1pm and then I went to the hospital to visit Christine. I think she is the most popular person on the floor. When I got there a hospice lady named Linda was there, a resident and a nurse were with her and she was on the phone. I was waiting outside for the resident to finish up. As I was waiting one of her old co-workers came up and we waited together and then Sam and Jacob showed up. So by the time the resident left we quickly filled up her room. She was a bit loopy on the meds but still Christine as ever. We asked her what the best time to visit was and she suggested the evening as she is supposed to rest in the afternoon. I don't know if that is going to pan out for her considering all her visitors! We prayed with her before we left. She was pretty tired.
When I got home I asked James about his presentation, he said he didn't do it today. So I was like -was it put off until tomorrow. And he said no. It turns out that there NEVER was a presentation assigned, just for some reason he thought they would have one, but instead he only got one question asked by the teacher and that was what sport Bobby Orr played. So that was a lot of worry for nothing. As worry normally is.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home