Where your support lies
My acquaintance Alison from my high school years had a brother running for mayor in St. C. He was a year or so ahead of us in school. He even garnered the support of the ice dogs. He did not win even with the support of a hockey team. Alison's facebook has become quiet. But win or not she can still be proud that he tried. And it looks like he had a lot of fun on the way.
Kingston was a bit of a different story. I don't know who the hockey team supported. This is the first election where I actually liked a lot of the candidates. Normally in elections I vote for the one I dislike the least. But this election offered up a number of good experienced candidates. Around the time Bryan Paterson announced he was running for mayor, God specifically told me to pray for him. And I figured if I was praying for him, I should vote for him as well. But as Rick and Dorothy had been on the political landscape much longer I actually thought he was a long shot. Then a couple of weeks ago one of those telephone polls was done and it showed Bryan with a slim lead over Rick and Dorothy. I wasn't quite sure if being shown to be in the lead was advantageous because if you are a front runner you are a target. And a target he was. There was so much vitriol written that it turned my stomach to read it. And I thought to myself that with all that anger out there being directed at him that he wouldn't make it. But despite all the negativity, he won! I was by the campaign headquarters earlier in the day and despite everyone was formally dressed, the atmosphere was LOVE. It was a sweet, sweet feeling and I am so happy for him and for our city.
Kingston was a bit of a different story. I don't know who the hockey team supported. This is the first election where I actually liked a lot of the candidates. Normally in elections I vote for the one I dislike the least. But this election offered up a number of good experienced candidates. Around the time Bryan Paterson announced he was running for mayor, God specifically told me to pray for him. And I figured if I was praying for him, I should vote for him as well. But as Rick and Dorothy had been on the political landscape much longer I actually thought he was a long shot. Then a couple of weeks ago one of those telephone polls was done and it showed Bryan with a slim lead over Rick and Dorothy. I wasn't quite sure if being shown to be in the lead was advantageous because if you are a front runner you are a target. And a target he was. There was so much vitriol written that it turned my stomach to read it. And I thought to myself that with all that anger out there being directed at him that he wouldn't make it. But despite all the negativity, he won! I was by the campaign headquarters earlier in the day and despite everyone was formally dressed, the atmosphere was LOVE. It was a sweet, sweet feeling and I am so happy for him and for our city.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home