Saturday, September 29, 2012

No voice


I bought James some new socks today. They were pretty brightly coloured so I liked them but I was unsure of the appeal to a 10 year old boy. However, he loved them and named them all after Pokemen. Who knew?

Yesterday I left my house at 5:45am and trekked through the dark to find the bus to TO at 6:15. Of course, others were late so we didn't leave until 6:45. But we made good time and arrived at the Royal York at 9:45am. Right on time. At that point I was ready to head to the Convention Center but some others were interested in checking into their rooms etc. They had real flowers at the Royal York. I was impressed with the ambiance. We were to go as a group to the convention center. I left with the first group. We were moving fast as they had to drop us off and then head back for the next group. But there were seriously masses of people everywhere and it didn't take long for our group to get broken up. The guy who was leading us didn't notice. I just kept marching in the direction of the masses of people. There were escalators and more escalators. Security guards everywhere. When I got off the last escalator, there were people handing out maps. I took one and headed off to find my booth. I did well with the map and dropped my stuff off at the back of the booth. Then went out and talked to prospective students for 4 hours. It was a lot of fun as they were all really nice and appreciative of our time.

At 2pm I got a lunch.
I find it hard to eat in new locations but I did look at all the food stands. There was one stand that did crepes that looked good but I wasn't sure how much my stomach could handle so I decided to try a smoothie. I generally find they fill me up. The place a went to had super healthy smoothies- they put the fruit in the cup and a wee bit of liquid that thickens it but no sugar. So healthy yes. But the strawberries they were using were pretty sour so it was harder to drink than I thought. But I sat there and got through it.

Then I went and talked more until 4:30pm when it was time to leave for the bus. I knew that my voice was close to gone and I had been battling a cold for the week and my voice wouldn't make another day. The bus left at 5pm (15 minutes early as we had everyone on in time) and took 2 hours to get out of Toronto due to high volume of traffic. We were supposed to stop for dinner once we had cleared Toronto but by the time we made it past we were running so late and the bus driver was worried that we wouldn't make it back to Kingston before he needed to stop driving (you can only work so long under regulations) so we didn't stop at all and we made it back in time for the driver to be ok. So at 9pm I trekked back through the dark. Came back to 40 emails! That is about my daily volume of email.

And indeed I woke up this morning with no voice so I had made the right decision.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home