Saturday, September 30, 2006

New Shoes

Last night was a pretty tiring night. I got to sleep around midnight (with Myron still on the computer) and James was up at 1am asking if it was morning. Um. No. Well, maybe technically, but no. Myron went to put him back to bed. About 2am Myron was up again. Apparently, he drank too much iced tea in the evening and couldn't sleep. He slept in the afternoon instead.

In the morning I went downtown and picked up some groceries and some wonderful new shoes. I ordered them from Sears as they were 1/2 price $20 and I buy the same kind of shoes every year(when they are on sale). My shoes get a lot of wear. They are a kind of moccasin and so soft and comfortable. And the new ones have so much support, compared to the old, which had holes as big as my hand. Yes, my whole hand could fit in! I threw the old away today and am committed to the new.

A Church should give as much support as shoes, I think. Tomorrow, we Rustlers are 'growing away'. I will put away the old, which I have loved and grown from and I will put on the new and will love and grow in new ways. The same shoes though.

When I was downtown I ran into Judy, who has been a good friend to me, though I haven't seen much of her recently. She was so good to me when I was in the hospital with James. I hadn't brought any hairbands, and had lost my only one. I hadn't expected to be in the hospital a week. I was so unprepared. She brought me a bag of hairbands. I know where she lives now, so hopefully we can connect more.

The afternoon I spent doing housework with James. I got the bathroom clean while he was in the bath. It has taken me weeks to get the nerve to clean that bathroom!

This last week, I have been watching TV while I mark papers. I wrote down a quote while I was watching "Numbers" that the dad (Judd Hirsch) said to the FBI agent son who was second guessing himself about actions he had taken on the job to save one of the other agents (I didn't see the whole episode, so I don't know what those actions were). The quote was "When you wrestle with your choices, you can be sure that common sense will prevail". Will it? Just because you don't act impulsively, does that mean common sense will prevail?

1 Comments:

Blogger rab said...

"When you wrestle with your choices, you can be sure that common sense will prevail"? I'd say that's ridiculously optimistic. Pollyannish, maybe. Truth is, when we wrestle with our choices and win, it's usually because of grace. I love common sense but grace wins out every time.

October 2, 2006 at 9:01:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home