The big chill
The cold front moved in on Saturday. I went out to Giant Tiger in the morning -22 with a wind chill down to -35. It was chilly but making it a block or two wasn't bad. (It was -30 when I woke up with a -40 windchill so relatively speaking -22 wasn't so bad)
James spent the day at Duncan's playing video games in the morning and at the Invista Center watching his game in the afternoon.
For dinner, I ordered Chinese from a couple of blocks away and did make it out again and it wasn't too bad. I tried to find some chicken to order that wasn't breaded (which I guess is deep fried?) but I couldn't all their chicken was breaded. So instead I ordered beef and green peppers which was stir fried and quite nice.
There weren't many people out when I was walking!
Sunday, the chill was still enveloping everything and when I looked at the temp around 10am it was -25 and I didn't think I could make it all the way to Rustle in that so I watched Kim's Church online. Interestingly Kim's pastor seems to have the same Biblical reading plan that I do. When I was reading Chronincles, he was talking about Chronicles. Now that I am reading Ezra, he is talking about Ezra. Ezra really is an interesting book about restoration as the Jews worked to restore Jerusalem as it highlights the fact that the only reason this restoration happened was because of Cyrus and Darius who were Assyrian kings. These non Jewish kings protected the Jews at their own expense. It would have been easier and less costly for them to look away, but they did not. And when the restoration happened and there was joy and celebration, I think they would have participated with the Jews.
In the afternoon, James said he had no homework so we did a clean earth science kit where we built a water filter and then poured dirty water in it. It had gravel, sand, carbon and filter paper and the water came out clean at the end. It was a very slow process though but interesting!
I made Challah bread with cinnamon sprinkle on top, but it turned out pretty heavy (good but heavy). I would have liked it to be a bit lighter. Not sure what I can change for that to happen.
And pasta for dinner.
After dinner I watched Kim's church online (evening service) then persuaded James to watch the 80's icon film "The Breakfast Club"- my dad gave me the DVD. It was interesting to look back and see that the issues that affected teenagers in the 80s still affect teenagers today. What is different is that the movie was rated "R" but was pretty tame compared to movies now!
I am hoping the temp will rise enough for me to be brave and get out of the house today. I have no plan for what we will have for dinner yet. Giant Tiger is closed. John's is open 10-5 so if I feel brave that is where I will go.
James spent the day at Duncan's playing video games in the morning and at the Invista Center watching his game in the afternoon.
For dinner, I ordered Chinese from a couple of blocks away and did make it out again and it wasn't too bad. I tried to find some chicken to order that wasn't breaded (which I guess is deep fried?) but I couldn't all their chicken was breaded. So instead I ordered beef and green peppers which was stir fried and quite nice.
There weren't many people out when I was walking!
Sunday, the chill was still enveloping everything and when I looked at the temp around 10am it was -25 and I didn't think I could make it all the way to Rustle in that so I watched Kim's Church online. Interestingly Kim's pastor seems to have the same Biblical reading plan that I do. When I was reading Chronincles, he was talking about Chronicles. Now that I am reading Ezra, he is talking about Ezra. Ezra really is an interesting book about restoration as the Jews worked to restore Jerusalem as it highlights the fact that the only reason this restoration happened was because of Cyrus and Darius who were Assyrian kings. These non Jewish kings protected the Jews at their own expense. It would have been easier and less costly for them to look away, but they did not. And when the restoration happened and there was joy and celebration, I think they would have participated with the Jews.
In the afternoon, James said he had no homework so we did a clean earth science kit where we built a water filter and then poured dirty water in it. It had gravel, sand, carbon and filter paper and the water came out clean at the end. It was a very slow process though but interesting!
I made Challah bread with cinnamon sprinkle on top, but it turned out pretty heavy (good but heavy). I would have liked it to be a bit lighter. Not sure what I can change for that to happen.
And pasta for dinner.
After dinner I watched Kim's church online (evening service) then persuaded James to watch the 80's icon film "The Breakfast Club"- my dad gave me the DVD. It was interesting to look back and see that the issues that affected teenagers in the 80s still affect teenagers today. What is different is that the movie was rated "R" but was pretty tame compared to movies now!
I am hoping the temp will rise enough for me to be brave and get out of the house today. I have no plan for what we will have for dinner yet. Giant Tiger is closed. John's is open 10-5 so if I feel brave that is where I will go.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home