Joanna
Joanna formally graduated from Queen's on Friday and for all her hard work she invited some of us to her house for a party. I don't know if she had a good time (though she probably did- she generally does :) but James had a BLAST! He got to jump on her trampoline and he sat on a raft in her pool for ages. He was wiped by the time he got home. Thanks so much Joanna! (I would have pictures but I managed to lock myself out of my house so couldn't pick up my camera or even James' swimming trunks before the party- James was on the raft in his Nemo underwear)
Another special treat we had today was that Jared spoke in the Sunday service. It was so nice to hear him again. Like old times, but yet not as his outlook seems more 'apostolic' now. He spoke from Amos 5:21-+ reminding us that God is pleased when Churches take care of the poor and the marginalized. He said that "the Church exists to teach people to serve the kingdom of God".
This really resonated with me as yesterday I had been reading Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life"- I happened to start in Chapter 33 (because I was just flipping through, not actually reading) that is entitled "How real servants act" that starts by saying "We serve God by serving others" His main points were that servants make themselves available, pay attention to the needs of others, they do their best with what they have, do every task with equal dedication and are faithful.
The book is very easy to read, yet filled with all kinds of interesting things like the above.
Also, when we were at Kim's church on Wednesday, the speaker talked about Saul from 1 Samuel and how though he 'repented' when he was under some pressure he did not really want to change - he wanted relief. Rick Warren says "There is no growth without change; there is no change without fear or loss; there is no loss without pain. Every change involves a loss of some kind: You must let go of the old ways in order to experiance the new. We fear these losses, even if our old ways were self-defeating, because, like a worn out pair of shoes, they were at least comfortable and familiar."
Saul wasn't willing to change and he lost God's favor.
Another special treat we had today was that Jared spoke in the Sunday service. It was so nice to hear him again. Like old times, but yet not as his outlook seems more 'apostolic' now. He spoke from Amos 5:21-+ reminding us that God is pleased when Churches take care of the poor and the marginalized. He said that "the Church exists to teach people to serve the kingdom of God".
This really resonated with me as yesterday I had been reading Rick Warren's "The Purpose Driven Life"- I happened to start in Chapter 33 (because I was just flipping through, not actually reading) that is entitled "How real servants act" that starts by saying "We serve God by serving others" His main points were that servants make themselves available, pay attention to the needs of others, they do their best with what they have, do every task with equal dedication and are faithful.
The book is very easy to read, yet filled with all kinds of interesting things like the above.
Also, when we were at Kim's church on Wednesday, the speaker talked about Saul from 1 Samuel and how though he 'repented' when he was under some pressure he did not really want to change - he wanted relief. Rick Warren says "There is no growth without change; there is no change without fear or loss; there is no loss without pain. Every change involves a loss of some kind: You must let go of the old ways in order to experiance the new. We fear these losses, even if our old ways were self-defeating, because, like a worn out pair of shoes, they were at least comfortable and familiar."
Saul wasn't willing to change and he lost God's favor.

2 Comments:
Aphra, I like all you write about change in this post after ending your last one by saying that change is good. (By the way, next time we're together, can you give me a little lesson on bike gears?) In other news, Paul took a bunch of pictures of James and Tara in the pool on my camera. I'll email you the good ones when I get them onto my computer.
this was so good to read, both the spiritual stuff but also the details about people I've met. I could just see James and Tara in the pool.
Congrats Joanna - I'm trusting the Lord for a GREAT year for you downunder, but know you will be well missed by James and family when you are gone.
Aphra :) missing you dear friend. Thank you a million times over for all you did for me, the ministry and the love you gave.
Post a Comment
<< Home