Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Where you live

Kristin wrote about where she lives in Calgary in posts 'The Hood' and 'Sell house, Sell Soul'
(Kristin)
and Rachel has written about her move over at edeva.ca edeva speaks and yesterday about her neighbour in her blog (http://rachelerb.blogspot.com/). It was funny that she posted it, as I have been thinking about where we live a lot.
Not that we're thinking of moving or anything!
I'm just grateful that we don't live in the suburbs.
I would much rather live in an area with odd neighbours than in an area of whited sepulchers with perfect lawns.
It seems more real to me, more raw to live in an area where people have some struggles.
So I'm happy here.

I apply the same reasoning to blogs that I read. I read blogs of friends because I know them and am interested in their lives. But of the blogs of strangers, I seem to pick the raw ones. Laurie (Aunt Purl) is recovering from a divorce. Kristin has been having a rough go with her relationship since her baby was born. Rebecca's little boy died at only 10days old. Rebekah is the same age as James but has been through so much with cancer treatments and all (her parents write the blog)

I guess you could say that I appreciate the real and not the fake :) (not that there's anything wrong with living in suburbia and having a perfect lawn! just saying my preference is all :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I agree, Aphra.

I grew up in suburbia, and I kind of had the idea that the world was made up of white, middle-class protestant or catholic families.

I like it that Astrid plays with kids who attend expensive private schools, as well as kids whose families are on welfare. I'm hoping she'll grow up with the idea that people and families are all different and that's OK.

Diversity is a good thing.

March 28, 2006 at 10:12:00 PM EST  
Blogger rab said...

Odd neighbours? Hmmm. Were you thinking of Paul and Sarah? Certainly not us, I hope!

March 29, 2006 at 9:14:00 AM EST  
Blogger Marlene said...

I've always said that I want to have a house in the country like the one I grew up in. I love all the space and peacefulness. I used to get jealous of my friends who lived in town, though, who could walk down the street to each other. I wasn't allowed to walk to anyone's house in my neighbourhood because it was too far.

Scott and I sometimes visit the suburb in Sherwood Park, just outside Edmonton where he lived and I was surprised that I could picture myself living in a place like that. I'm not a fan of the newer "cookie-cutter" houses that are popping up around there, but I do like the way that the houses seem to be set up around parks with pathways leading to them. It seems like a family-oriented community.

March 29, 2006 at 12:32:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home